View Single Post
Old 05-09-2011, 03:19 PM   #1
TOBBYFUL
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Default Potty Training Problems

My yorkie is about 1.5-2 years old. He used to be great with potty training, about 99%. Then, one week it rained nonstop and he refused to go potty outside, so he would pee in the bathroom. Now, everyday he pees in the bathroom 2-3 times. When I tried restricting him from the bathroom, he just peed in the living room or the other bathroom instead. I don't see why he can't hold it in for 2 hours if he can hold it in for 8 hours overnight. I do de-odor the place he pees on, but he seems to pee there anyways.

When I take him out, the only peeing that he seems to be doing is marking. If there is nothing to mark, he refuses to pee and just saves his pee for later. It's really frustrating when I'm standing with him near the bush, he will sniff a while and decide that he doesn't want to pee.

I try to start from the beginning of potty training, but he just doesn't accept praise when he pees(marks) outside. When I offer a treat, he just sniffs at it and looks away. But after I bring him inside, he will take treats but not know why he's getting treated.

Crate training doesn't seem to help either. He won't pee when he's in the crate, and after I take him out to pee, he'll come in the house and just pee in the bathroom again. I think the biggest hindrance in the training is that he won't accept treats, therefore he won't relate peeing outside = good.

I am aware that neutering may help the problem of marking, which is why I'm planning to have him neuter in the next two weeks. However, I'm afraid that once he has no desire to mark, he will just completely stop peeing outdoors and just pee in the bathroom.

I don't know what to do anymore. I'd appreciate some tips.
TOBBYFUL is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!