View Single Post
Old 05-09-2011, 12:48 PM   #1
salazark
Donating YT 500 Club Member

Default I've starved Beemer!

I feel so bad. I've switched my two to a raw diet a couple of months ago. Sadie needed to loose a few ounces. She had gotten to 5 1/2 pounds and she really should be closer to 5. Beemer was 3.9 pounds in March at the vet. He could have stood to gain a little but he's a gangly teenager.

I weighed them yesterday on my scale at home where I got on the scale first and then with each of the dogs. The scale said that Sadie was right at 5 pounds and Beemer was 3.2-3.4. I really thought that the method of weighing that I was using probably wasn't very accurate so I brought them both in to my office today where we have a calibrated very accurate scale. Sadie was 4.9 pounds and Beemer was 3.25. How could I not have noticed that he had lost so much weight??? He's had a ton of energy - I haven't noticed any sluggishness. Both of them seem to be doing great on the raw.

Let me back up and tell you what I've been feeding. I give each of them 1 nugget (ounce) morning and night. This was the amount called for Sadie's size and a little more than for Beemer's size. I steam green beans and carrots and chop some up and add them to it. I wanted Sadie to lose a little weight but I didn't want her to be hungry. I have recently started adding about another third of a nuggot to Beemers because he seemed hungry. Both of them devour their food when I feed them but they love it and have been doing that since I started. Obviously I'm going to up the amount for Beemer and monitor Sadie closer to make sure that she doesn't lose any more. I'm also taking Beemer to the vet on Wednesday. He's supposed to be getting his rabies shot but I want to ask him if we should wait till I get some weight back on him.

I can't tell you how bad I feel about this. Obviously I'm going to talk to his vet about this but do you think I've done any real damage? I hope not. It's funny - I really, really wanted him to be a little bigger dog - I really didn't want to stunt him!! Oh, and he's a year and a half old. Sadie will be three in August.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!