View Single Post
Old 05-08-2011, 03:08 PM   #6
Mardelin
Mardelin Yorkshire Terriers
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesskim25 View Post
Hi I'm new to this forum and I'm getting a 8 week old puppy next week. I want to potty train him so he can do his business inside of our apartment. Has anyone heard of puppy apartments? Modern Puppies - Potty Training a Puppy it's a crate with a divider that leads to a puppy pad. I'm thinking if I should get this and wanted to know if there was anyone out there that used this and worked.
I know you want to do everything just right. However, your pup is only 8 weeks of age, just being weaned from it's mother and to even consider taking it away from it's mother is not in it's best interest or yours. It's barely beginning to eat well on it's own. Transitioning it to a new home is stressful, they do go off of food in a new environment. The possibility of hyperglycemia is great. They can't be over handled, this can also lead to hyperglycemia as well as coccidia a common problem that a pup can contract from their mother and it manifests itself under a stressful situation.

From 8 to 12 weeks mother begins training in earnest. Begins to socialize the pup, teaches it where in the pack the puppy fits in. Mom begins to potty train it, teaches it how to play.

The breeder begins to socialize it with humans, how to conduct itself. Puppy shots don't begin until approximately 9 weeks of age and the pup shouldn't leave the breeder's home until it's 2nd shot at approximately 12 weeks of age.

There is wonderful information on the YTCA.org page on when the best age is for a pup to be transitioned to it's new home

What kind of contract is your breeder providing. Is she providing you a guarantee for life threatening diseases and for how long. Does she offer a money back should a life threatening disease happen? Liver Shunt, etc.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!