View Single Post
Old 05-06-2011, 05:05 AM   #2
Mardelin
Mardelin Yorkshire Terriers
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shilee001 View Post
Mommy's feeding..... help
Shillee had her babies on 30 April, she was sick and I took her to the Vet 3 May, she was vomiting and had a runny tummy... bad. The Vet gave her penicillin injections and something for the vomiting, she is much better now, the babies are all (5 of them) in a very good condition. I just noticed tonight that her milk is "drying" up. The babies are sucking and they look fine. Is there anything that I can do to help her to produce more milk, or should I rather take her back to the Vet. There is still a little milk coming out when I squeeze the teat but some of them do not have any milk.She is a good mother and stays with the babies all the time, she eats good and I give her some extra water with a syringe, just to make sure she get enough fluids in. She is 3 yrs old and had her previous litter 2yrs back. I need advise please!!
First, get her to the vet and explain the situation. See if she is really drying up. Check to see if the pups are steadily gaining weight. You want to protect her from eclampsia.

Supplement feeding of Canned Goat's Milk, equal parts of distilled water and wee bit of Karo Syrup......Feeding them at this point about every two hours and then as they take more they you will extend the feeding hours to 3 and so on and so on. But, with 5 pups you should be helping her by supplementing the pups anyway

There is a whelping pudding recipe that you can make for your girl. Also, giving her Calcium tabs and a scrambled egg a day.....and feeding her 5 times a day...why are you having to give her water by syringe? I know that the first week is always the hardest, mothers don't want to leave pups to or potty....about the end of the first week they pick up....but, around the first week eclampsia can hit, especially with a litter this large.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!