View Single Post
Old 05-04-2011, 10:14 AM   #6
Ellie May
And Rylee Finnegan
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmasbaby75 View Post
Thanks ... I will let her know. As far as she knows, she doesn't think he was injured, but I'm sure it's possible he could have jumped off the couch the wrong the way, etc. She doesn't think he could have gotten into anything either. I just spoke to her, and he seems to be doing better today (not panting as much, and seems to be less lethargic and more energetic). If there is fluid around the spine - will that show up in an x-ray? Would that cause this pain and fever? What about a pinched nerve - how can that be diagnosed for sure? She may have to go back for another opinion.
My guess is that wouldn't show up well on xray. Certain spinal changes do though. Not sure how a pinched nerve is diangosed. That would seem very difficult.

If he is still panting even a little, that means he is very likely in extreme pain. I would recommend having the owner find a vet that is willing to manage his pain immediately. The steroid may have taken some inflammation down and helped with the pain. That doesn't mean that the problem is solved...

Ellie had a very slight amount of fast breathing, yelps a couple times on abdoinal palpation, would seem to get really hot all of a sudden, and a few other things. Her xray showed a significant spinal abnormality. Since dogs hide pain, anytime there is this much it is serious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjc View Post
Did they do an xray on the 2nd visit or are they just guessing? If the dog is in enough pain to make him pant, I would find another vet (permanently) one that listens to the owner and is a bit more proactive in wanting to resolve problems.....

The fever I believe only comes from infection, if they did inhouse bloodwork their machine may need to be re-calibrated (at least one that high...)
I concur. Dog panting the second day and it just gets sent home? And no xrays? No talk of what the next step is to r/o a back problem. Not good...
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!