View Single Post
Old 05-01-2011, 01:33 PM   #2
Mardelin
Mardelin Yorkshire Terriers
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blonde281 View Post
My little girl Emma just had her second and last litter last night. She had a hard time delivering her first baby and couldn't push it out herself. We rushed her to the emergency vet and the were able to deliver two puppies out of her six. After 6 hours of being in labor and only delivering two pups the vet noticed the third pup was breached and decided to do a c section because the other puppies had low heart rates. All the puppies are fine. My concern is for momma. She won't leave her puppies' side. I have to hand feed her and bring her water. She has only gotten up once to go pee but nothing else in the 9 hours she's been home. She is very thin and seems weak but she is also on pain meds. I got her to eat scrambled eggs, goats milk, some dog treats if I break them up, and just now some soft dog food. I made up some whelping pudding and it's setting now. I have never dealt with a dog after surgery so I don't really know what to expect and whats normal. I was just wondering if any of you who have went through c sections could give me an idea of what your experience was like? I'm taking her to our vet in the morning but just want to know what to look for in the mean time. Thanks!
What you're dealing with at this time is very normal; C-section or not. Dams are reluctant to leave their pups for the first week. And yes, you'll have to resort to hand feeding during the first week. Feed her as much as you can get down her....give her a couple of days... I'm sure you know what you have to watch out for with a litter this size is eclampsia...I do hope you have PetCal or a like calcium supplement. And of course for emergencies Oral Cal Plus.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!