Thread: yorkie in heat
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2011, 10:10 AM   #5
Mardelin
Mardelin Yorkshire Terriers
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawopw View Post
My Yorkie is 10 1/2 months old and I believe in heat. She has had a swollen vulva for at least 10 days now, but has not started bleeding. Is this normal or should I be concerned? I have noticed her licking a lot but no signs of blood. Most of the information I have read says she should start her menstrual cycle a week after swelling. Please advise. She only weighs 2 1/2 pounds, so I panic every time something out of the norm occurs. I have another Yorkie that weighs 7 pounds and solid as a rock. He is 9 1/2 yrs old. My baby, is just so small, I worry so much about her. She also has a fontanel that has never closed which I also worry about. My vet has told me, many small breeds have the same situation and live a normal life, but I just to be a little more careful that she does not injure her head. I even worry about brushing the top of her head. Am I being over protective?
At this point I believe you haven't been protective enough. Your girl should have been spayed by now. By not having her spayed you are subjecting her to other dangers. Oops breeding...very, very dangerous for a girl her size, mammary cancer, pyometria......all things that can take her life. An experienced toy breed vet can conduct a spay on your girl with minimal danger.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!