Thread: Biting problem
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2011, 12:58 AM   #13
dizzywitch
YorkieTalk Newbie!

I may be wrong in my methods, but it seems to be working .. I also have 3 children aged 6/8/10 who have in turn used the methods ... I have 3 methods to suit the age groups of the children and Stanley seems to sense we are different.

Me, as the leader of the pack .. I say a firm Stanley NO, cross my arms and turn my head .. I repeat it again if needed, after 3 days he when I looked back at him after a min and still no words from me he put his head to one side .. I then walk away .. when he follows me, I turn, say Stanley SIT, and then I give him a good rub on his back.

The children .. the 10 yr old says No firmly, crosses his arms and not looking walks away.

The 8 yr old says No and walks away .. he usually follows her, so en route she picks up a toy and diverts him and gives him that.

The 6 yr old is a little wary at the moment and if she is sitting down on the sofa or chair says NO and raises her feet and turns her head .. if she is walking she has been told to walk towards me and I talk her through it so she knows I am there and it makes her less wary.

All 3 children have helped with COME and SIT and rewarded Stanley with a tiny treat so that he is learning commands from us all. Although he knows when I use a deeper slower voice he is in trouble and does one of those ha hum looks and turns his head before he peeks to see if I look happier.

This may not be to everyones method but with children in the house there are too many fingers and toes .. the children if sat on the floor always divert with a toy if he goes to nibble their fingers.

Hope it helps someone out there as it is working for us here.
dizzywitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!