View Single Post
Old 04-29-2011, 04:56 PM   #8
Buster Brown
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlicetheYorkie View Post
Just keep gradually increasing the Acana amount and decreasing the old food.
For the pumpkin - about 1 teaspoon (start with a little less, definatly no more than 1 tsp.) for a small dog. Just make sure it's not the pie filling kind, just all natural pumpkin - that usually works within a few hours If it doesn't, you can do a few days of a bland diet of very lean ground beef or skinless, fatless chicken breast with white rice. Rice water works well too, but I haven't had luck in the past getting my dogs to drink it the handfull of times I had to try it.
As far as your question about the grain free in the original post, I guess I'm wrong, but I thought all Acana was grain free? I could be wrong (I know that company's Orijen is grain free). I personaly think grain free is best for dogs (and cats) since they're carnivors and have no use for grains in their diet and it's actually really hard for them to digest grains of any kind (their digestive tracts just aren't made for it) They get all the nutrients that would be in grains from the veggies in their food.
I have a holistic vet and she recommended this for Buster too but what she said to do was make the white rice with 4x as much water as recommended and boil it until you get a thick white liquid. It will become more like paste when it cools. Feed this paste to the dog, I mix it with Buster's food Orijen. The paste will help bind the loose stools. Also she said the pectin from apples is good too. I do remove the skin. Tikka is absolutely precious. I had to laugh after getting Buster I got a carpet cleaner as well. I made the mistake of getting one of the UV lights to show where stains are...DON"T DO IT!! It turns out all kinds of stains will show up. I was so freaked out a first I was thinking is there an untouched spot on my carpet anywhere? best of luck with your sweet furkids.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!