View Single Post
Old 04-27-2011, 02:38 PM   #1
GrayC25
Yorkie Yakker

Default We've got a barker on our hands...

Our 3-year-old Yorkie, Samson, is starting to become a real barker. He is completely fine on walks and mostly ignores other dogs that bark at him. However, when he is in his on home (and sees a person/dog/animal out the front door or windows) he barks like crazy! No one likes to have a dog - big or small - barking at them. I don't know how to stop him.

We moved into our house in November. Before that, we lived on a second floor condo that faced the courtyard, so he didn't really see many people or animals. He would bark once in a while, but not like this.

I have a feeling we have the beginnings of an alpha dog in our hands and I would like to put an end to it. He sometimes growls when he has a bone on our bed and one of us moves around him or when he's eating and someone walks closely by him. He also hops up on furniture when uninvited. I pointed this out to my husband and he said "I want my dog on the bed with me" and I said "I do too, but he should only come up when invited!" I have printed out some papers and have tried to talk to my husband about it, but he seems disinterested. He seems to think the way Samson acts is okay, but I don't. I want to get his under control.

How do I work on the barking? I really, really, REALLY don't even want to consider a shock collar, but what about a beeper collar? Are those effective at all? What else can work with barking? What does training a dog to "speak" do to help with excessive barking at other animals/people? I don't even know if I'd know how to train him to bark on command.

Does anyone have any suggestions to help with the barking and maybe some of the other issues?

THANK YOU!!!
GrayC25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!