View Single Post
Old 04-27-2011, 10:58 AM   #4
Sophie2010
Yorkie Yakker

We got our Sophie in December so we pad trained her before going outside. Once it started to warm up in late February we began taking her outside and let me tell you, it's a lot of work but soooo worth it!!

The first few times she would just stand out there and do NOTHING!! I swear I'd stand out there for 20mins saying "go pee pee" over and over. I tried bringing her pad out there like others suggested but that didn't really help.

So, I started trying to set her up for success by bringing her out first thing in the morning, when she would usually go on her pad in her x-pen, and when I'd get home from work in the afternoon. Once she started going I would praise her TONS. I mean, throw a small party every time. Also, the first week we tried going outside we spent the weekend with friends who have two dogs and I think it helped her seeing what other dogs do. I was also moving the pad closer to the door.

Although she would do in the a.m. and afternoon, we would have accidents other times. So, I decided to remove the pads completely and begin crate training her in earnest (Until then we kept her in an x-pen with her bed and pad at night and when we were away).

I followed the schedule in "How to Pottytrain your Dog in 7 days", I think there's a link to it here somewhere. After that we made a lot of progress. The crate training really helped her learn to hold it instead of just going when she feels like it (which the pads let them do). It's been about two months now and I'd say we're about 97% housebroken. She still has occasional accidents, but it's usually our fault and it's right in front of the door. Either we're not there or we ignore her signals. We're at the point that I let her roam the house while I get ready because I trust that she won't have an accident.

Also, I began to really pay attention to her schedule. Some schedules say wake-up, potty, play, feed, then potty again. Sophie gets up around 6:30 and goes potty, hangs out while I get ready and eats around 7:30. In the beginning I would take her out right after she ate only to be frustrated. Now I know she has to go potty about 30-40 mins after she eats. It's not ideal because I have to get up earlier to ensure time, but it's worth it.

There is a lot of trial and error in the process and you need A LOT of patience, as I'm sure you know from pad training. There were times I just wanted to scream, but it was so worth it. This week it's been nothing but rain here and she goes out like a trooper, pees and poops and heads right back inside.

Let me know if you have any other questions or just want to vent!!

Good luck, you'll do it!!
Sophie2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!