View Single Post
Old 04-25-2011, 03:42 PM   #8
TxVicki
Donating YT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleysMum View Post
Hi all,
My Harley has had bouts of pancreatitis and has been on a low fat food (Innova) but over the past month, he has been very sick...in and out of the vet hospital. They have come to think that he has IBD as well. He has all the symptoms: gurgling and upset tummy, throwing up, etc. So, he is on a few days of steroids and the vet put him on Hills Prescription zd.

Now I just read about this food on Dog Food Analysis and I am not happy at all. How can the vets sell this crap, knowing that it is not good for the animals that they treat??? We listen to them because we think they know best...I don't think that is the case at all.

We have spent thousands of dollars on our little guy since before Christmas and having him eat this food is like a kick in the gut. I hate seeing him in pain and sick all the time. I am scared to try other things though because I am not sure what might be causing his IBD, although I think chicken and corn might be culprits so far.

I don't know what to do except that I want to get him off this Hills food at some point. Any suggestions for a dog with pancreatitis and IBD? Thanks for any help!!
I can only tell you about my experience with my late Molly. She had Chronic Pancreatitis, IBD and ERD and Cushings as well as cancer.Having to juggle for both IBD and Pancreatitis was a real learning experience. Finally after many foods the one she really did the best on was Natural Balance Reduced Calorie Food. She did have to take the Pepcid everyday and also she was on long term Metronizadole (it was compounded for her ) Also I always had on hand Carafate to start immed. if she started shwoing signs of a Pancre. attack. This was made into a slurry for her. She lived this way for over 4 years before the cancer took her this past November.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!