View Single Post
Old 04-25-2011, 10:09 AM   #3
LuvTaycieGirl
Donating YT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie May View Post
Been there and it's scary.

Prescription diets (and dog food in general) don't have the most appealing ingredients. Vets don't have much nutritional training. However, a large amount of money goes into creating prescription diets for specific problems. They tend to work very well for the majority of dogs.

Dogfoodanalysis may be okay to get an idea of what is in dog food and why we might want to be careful about what we're feeding. But a veterinary nutritionist did not write those food profiles. Individual dogs aren't being taken into account. It is some opinion and some weak science. Certainly not all bad, but definitely not the first or best place to look when talking about nutrition.

Pancreatitis can be life threatening as can some underlying problems when talking about IBD. If this food is working for you pup, I would not change it. As little as vets do learn about nutrition, your vet still knows much more about intestinal health than most anybody on YT. It's okay to use an rx diet. They save lives. It wouldn't be okay to switch without a lot of veterinary supervision. If you really don't want to use this long-term, you could talk to a veterinary nutritionist about alternatives (although if this food is working, they will probably discourage switching). Any slight change with pancreatitis and/or IBD can throw everything out of balance.

By the way, my dog just started eating prescription food again. According to Dogfoodanalysis it is crap. They have nothing listed under "pros" and several things under "cons" (including that there is zero meat in the food and it contains corn starch). But I have something to put in their "pros" list. My dog can eat it without getting seriously ill.

I hope that makes sense.

Excellent Advice!!!!!!! Well said!

I have read countless reviews on dog food, talked with a vet nutritionist, and checked out many books from the library. It can be exhausting! I am all for natural healthy diets. I wouldn't feed anything but the best! But, if her health required her to have RX diets, I would do it.

I don't think it matters how much I have read or consulted, If she needed an RX diet recommended by her vet,I would do it. As Ellie May stated, as the ingredients may not look appealing, but there is alot of science put into prescription diets, and they do save lives.

Last edited by LuvTaycieGirl; 04-25-2011 at 10:10 AM.
LuvTaycieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!