View Single Post
Old 04-24-2011, 04:46 PM   #2
KazzyK810
Donating YT 2000 Club Member

It's hard. Takes lots of work. My last yorkie, Chelsea, had CT. We worked for a solid two months on training and I mean, multiple times per day, every single day. We used treats and affection to train her. The hardest part, was not trying to calm her at all when she got worked up. We just ignored her. It was so difficult to do when she'd gasp, but we all knew we were doing it for her longterm. She only got attention when she calmed down.

We had the neighbors stop by regularly as well as my kids friends, and they all worked with her. She became our lil project.

The end result was fantastic!!! She stayed calm when the doorbell rang, when people came to visit, and when my kids (and often their friends too) ran through the house. She would still show reaction. She barked when the bell rang, but just once. She'd trot after the running kids, but wasn't running wildly & gasping for air.

*As an FYI, keeping Chelsea very fit & at a healthy weight extended her life considerably. We walked her everyday. If the weather was really too bad outside, we walked inside, laps around the house and up & down the stairs. My vet repeatedly stated that having a healthy heart and good lung function really helps extend the life expectany, & quality of life, of a CT pet.

Last edited by KazzyK810; 04-24-2011 at 04:48 PM.
KazzyK810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!