View Single Post
Old 04-22-2011, 05:49 PM   #7
DvlshAngel985
Donating YT 2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wylie's Mom View Post
I'm open to a lot of things...I was checking out this org: Volunteer - UMOM New Day Centers

I know homeless people come from all walks of life, but I'm particularly interested in those who have mental illnesses. My favorite job was back when I was 21-ish and I managed a group home for chronically mentally ill adults (almost all of them had schizophrenia).

I want to volunteer at SOMEthing, and helping homeless people has always appealed to me. I would love to help an animal shelter, but I just can't handle it. I'm also thinking about walking dogs for a rescue, but I may not even be able to handle that. I'm much better at handling people issues, bc there are often more resources for them. I hope that doesn't sound cold...it's just how I've felt my whole life (very sensitive toward animals).

Anyway, long answer , but I think this shows kinda where I'm coming from...
One simple thing you can do to help those less fortunate is clean out your closet and encourage your friends to do the same. Any article of clothing you know you honest will not wear, and it's in good condition, take it to a donation center. One where you know that it will go from your hands to a place those that need it will get to I and not pay a dime. We have an in house donation center at one o our offices, and you won't believe how many people are helped by it. Everything is washed, sorted by gender and size, so our homeless families can get what they need very easily. They can even come use the washer and dryer for free. Thy don't even have to bring soap, it's all provided for them.

I've actually been called a few times by my coworkers when they need shoes for a preteen girl. I'm always happy to give up one of my newer pairs of shoes.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!