View Single Post
Old 04-20-2011, 03:41 PM   #3
princessizzy
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britster View Post
Hi! *waves* Welcome to YT. I love the names Brady and Tanner.

Purina products are not my favorite and most here will probably suggest feeding something different. I'm not familiar with the particular brand you mentioned (ProSelect) but it really doesn't have by products in it? That surprises me, as most Purina products do.

I prefer grain-free foods in general personally because grains are a common allergen in dogs. I stay away from corn, wheat, soy, and by products. If you do want to feed a grain inclusive food, some of the 'good' grains are considered oatmeal, brown rice, barley, etc.

If you are looking for a good at Petsmart... the only foods I'd consider feeding offered at Petsmart is By Nature (only available at some), Wellness or Blue Buffalo. Oh and Castor & Pollux is one to look at. Petco offers more natural healthy choices like Natural Balance, Solid Gold, Merrick, etc.

I'm really really happy with Acana grain-free (Prairie, Grasslands, Pacifica and Ranchlands formulas) made by Champion Pet Foods. But other higher end brands like Fromm, Nature's Variety, Go/Now! are also available. Check out their websites to find out where you can purchase it. I'm considering adding Natural Balance to our rotation (I like to rotate his foods a lot).

Also, I like Dog Food Reviews | Dog Food Ratings and think it's a great help in finding good food for your dog and a good stepping stool for newbies to dog nutrition - I know I was clueless when I first got Jackson. Ultimately, it's a matter of finding what works for you and your dogs and sometimes it takes some trial/error.

GREAT ADVISE!!! We also do a grain free diet.. Izzy loves it
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!