View Single Post
Old 04-20-2011, 12:59 PM   #7
bellababy08
YT 1000 Club Member

I would keep her confined while in training...don't give her a chance to fail...and success starts with you...I have a 7 month old boy Harley...What I do is take him out every 2 to 3 hours, I tell him while we are on our way to the door...need to potty, lets go outside to potty...I try and make it fun...once we are outside I say "go potty" and I keep saying this until he pee's...than I throw a potty party with lots of praise and a treat...and when I know its time for them to poop after they have peed I will say "hurry up" until they poop...again when he does his business I throw a potty party and give a treat...I still do this with my 2 1/2 year old girl Bella...Our babies love to please us...they will go above and beyond to please us...and should be rewarded for it...once they learn they get a reward they will continue to do what pleases you so they get their reward...They are very smart cookies

If Harley doesn't go when we go outside, after about 15 to 20 minutes I will bring him back in I put him in his play yard..he gets no treat and no play time...I wait 10 minutes or so and I take him back out to try again until he does...He is doing really well now...he is hardly ever in his play yard anymore...Yay!!...but I still watch him like a hawk and take him out every few hours....You have to be very consistent with your training and the rewards.

until she is trained I would keep her confined in a play yard/ x pen...I'm not a fan of crate training, I only use a crate for travel.

and also you need to clean the areas that she has pottied in with a good pet odor cleaner like Natures Miracle...if you don't do that no matter how well your training is...if left, she will smell her pee or poo and will continue to potty there....smelling pee or poop is a trigger for them...just like when I go to the bathroom to take a shower, even if I don't have to pee as soon as I turn the shower on I have to pee than...its the same for them LOL ...You can get the Natures Miracle in pet smart...its the best...Good luck!

Last edited by bellababy08; 04-20-2011 at 01:04 PM.
bellababy08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!