View Single Post
Old 04-05-2005, 08:30 PM   #6
yorkieagility
YT 1000 Club Member

My first yorkie did all the time. Major reason why I started dog training. As soon as she see's something interesting she runs off and I couldn't call her back. I got really tired of her doing it so I took her to a dog behavorist and we work it out of her.

What it is, is all the distraction outdoors. There are so many new sounds, smells, and things outside compare to inside the house. That is also a reason why some people can get their dog to obey inside the house but not outside.

Anyway, this is what we did. We did lots and lots of recalls. What it involved was putting her on a long leash and calling her to me. As soon as she came, she got a special treat(chicken, steak, etc.). After she was did that consistantly, we started to add distraction( one person walking around the room or bring in a dog). Then the distraction increase and finally we did the whole thing all over again off leash. One of the worst one was placing her in a enclosed field with 20 loose dogs and calling her to me off leash. She has no problem doing it now and I'm not afraid she will run away anymore.

Tip: 1. Do not chase your dog. If you do, he think it is a chasing game and run further. Instead get his attention by calling him name cheerfully(you can jump up and down too and wave your arms if you like-dogs are natually attracted to motion) when you have his attention move or run the other direction encouraging him to follow(chase you).
2. Try not to get anger or show anger at your dog(would you go toward a person that is angry with you?)

I hope this info helps. Good luck with your dog.
yorkieagility is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!