View Single Post
Old 04-18-2011, 06:53 AM   #1
EpsilonExordium
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Question 2 year old Yorkie - Kidney failure

Subject: 7lb Yorkshire Terrier - 2 years old. No history of illness.

http://i.imgur.com/tXInW.jpg

On Wednesday of last week my dog started vomiting a bunch of the middle of the night - at least 7-8 times, if not more. When I woke up the next morning he seemed really depressed. I let him rest in his area for a bit while I went to work. When I got home, he had stopped vomiting, but he still seemed pretty depressed, and was shaking a bit (he never shakes). I took him to the vet, and they couldn't find anything wrong with him.

The next day, again - no vomiting, but he wasn't going #2, and didn't want to eat his food. I was able to get him to eat small amounts of soft, bland food, but that was about it.

On Friday, he still wasn't any better, so I left work early and took him to the vet again. He started acting NORMAL all of a sudden, and the vet again said that it didn't appear anything was wrong, and additional tests would be necessary.

Saturday - Took him back to the vet to get Xrays, bloodwork, pancreatis check, and a cardiogram.

Each time i've gone to the vet, they've chalked it up to depression being brought upon by my upcoming cross country move. I am moving from Columbus, OH to Austin, Tx this week, and it's been a pretty stressful past couple of weeks. The nurses and vet keep saying that the dog is probably picking up on this. I don't really believe it, but whatever.

The bloodwork showed high levels of PHOS, CREA, and BUN - proving that the little guy's kidney's are not working. They recommended that he be put into intensive care overnight at a local pet hospital. Cost: $360

The Pet Hospital agreed that the bloodwork showed abnormally high levels of PHOS, CREA, and BUN, and stated that they would put him on antibiotics and aggressive fluid treatment for 36 hours. Also recommended that we do follow up bloodwork and an ultrasound on Monday (today). Cost (before bloodwork and ultrasound): $800

We visited him at the hospital the day after he was admitted. He's got a catheter and a fuild drip running into his leg. He had a bit more energy, and his shaking had subsided. This was probably due to his medications easing the pain. His bad breath was gone, which is a sign that the fluid treatment is flushing the toxins out of his system.

The Vet contacted me today to let me know that his toxin levels had decreased by 50% - which is a sign that the fluid treatment seems to be working well. Today they will be running a suite of tests in order to try and come up w/ a diagnosis: Ultrasound, Cortisol check, urinalysis, etc. They also reccomended an additional 2-3 days at the hospital. This will be an additional $1800.

'm starting to get scared - my funds are going to run out soon. If it wasn't for the cross-country move this week, and the new house last week, things would be a bit different. Hopefully his issues were caused by eating something he wasn't supposed to, and not by some accute kidney disease. I should know more in a few hours.

Has anyone else here ran into any similar issues w/ their yorkies having sudden kidney problems at a young age?
EpsilonExordium is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!