View Single Post
Old 04-17-2011, 08:40 PM   #2
tjwarder
Yorkie Yakker

Animal Smiley 019

We are brand new Yorkie (Poo) owners, so our experience is recent. Sugar Bear whines around 5am or 6am and I do get up then to take her out. It is a new experience for us to have a small dog (who cannot just head for the doggy door whenever she wants). Humans need to go after sleeping all night, whether the urge wakes us at 5, 6 , or not until the alarm goes off so I decided that it's only reasonable to take her out if she whines even if I want to sleep longer because if I woke up and needed to go . . . I would not want to wait until my owner decided it was time to get up . I take her out, but put her right back in the kitchen and tell her it is still time to sleep. If she whines after that (or when we close off the kitchen at night), I ignore it. She does have a habit of starting up again an hour or two later, but I know that is because she is ready to get her day started, not a need to pee. In that, she's training us a little to start our day a little earlier, at least Mon-Fri. On weekends, I have been letting her out of the kitchen and going back to bed at the second (too earlier for me) whine, after putting on the golf channel. It's a risk that she might have an accident, but I'm pretty confident that once she's done her early morning business, we're good until after breakfast. She is on a regular feeding/pooping schedule. We started bell training with the 'Tell Bell' this week, so hopefully by June or so she will have a way to identify when she really needs to go out.
tjwarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!