View Single Post
Old 04-17-2011, 07:33 AM   #5
ziggy925
YT 500 Club Member

I agree with you, but after exhausting everything, cans, coins, teaching quiet, etc, the collar is all that was left. As for you guy in the park he was not using the collar correctly. This behavior is mentioned in the instructions and is not good.

BTW, teaching quiet is not as easy as teaching sit. It doesn't work for all dogs, although Ceasar Milan would make you think that just going SSSSSSS will solve everything.

I don't like the idea of a shock collar either, but if I thought it was harming Ruger in any way I would toss it. I only put it on him in situations where I can't have him barking. Dogs bark when they play, so the instructions said not to put the collar on the dog when you take him to the park, or with another collar or harness as that can trigger the shock collar.

Another problem is when you have to leave the dog alone for short periods. Without you being there when he barks, the collar is the only thing that works, reinforcing quiet instantly. But, before you can leave the dog alone with the collar you must make sure the dog is not cycling the collar, like the dog in the park.

I did not use the collar as a first resort, and I would never recommend using one of these collars as a first resort.
ziggy925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!