Thread: Pad or outside?
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2011, 07:59 PM   #6
EsmeeKimme
Senior Yorkie Talker

I have always had big dogs also so I know where you are coming from. They were always taught to go outdoors. I have also always crate trained while potty training them to speed it along. But since Riley is a small breed and I was told by his breeder and my vet not to take him out for a walk or anything like that until shots are completed about 16 weeks I have been nervous to do so. We got an xpen for when he has to be alone so I could give him room to play, eat, and potty but I stay at home so unless I am running to walmart or something then it won't be often. then rest of the time I have him in the same room as me with the doorways blocked with baby gates. I would attach him to me with a lead like I did the big boys but decided he was to small for that and I just watch him like a hawk and use the xpen when I am cooking or whatever. We have all hardwood floors so I don't have to worry about carpet and I pulled up all my throw rugs. He has already went on the paper himself several times .

For now, though we just got him home recently I am doing strictly indoors on newspaper. I personally don't do the pee pads. Of course I used cloth diapers with my kids since I am a bit of a geek/new age hippie lol and don't buy much in plastic. I would have went with the washable pee pads but was scared he would use my rugs or if a shirt was on the floor. I know those here have had luck with it but I am new to indoor training so that is what I thought.

I am planning on doing the newspaper exclusively until he is well past his shots and ready for walks. Then making a big deal out of going outside and hopefully he will prefer it on his own but still have the inside as a backup but if it isn't possible his poop will never be that big so I think I can live with the indoor on a perm basis.

I just bought one of those holders people get for peepads and use the newspaper on it instead so he can't rip them up and so it will stay in place.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!