Thread: Pad or outside?
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2011, 06:55 PM   #4
kdhawks
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmaniMan View Post
Hi and Welcome to YT!

You will get a ton of different opinions on this thread.

I feel you need to do what is best for you and your household. Personally, I like having the pads, I have to work so I like knowing my dogs don't have to hold it for 8 hours or more. That is the main reason I went with pads. But growing up with small dogs, there were always problems when it rained, even the best trained ones would simply refuse to go for entire days when the weather was bad. I like that in really bad weather, downpours, freezing temps, etc. we don't have to go out and deal with that. There are many people who do outdoor and pad training, so that the dog goes out most of the time but in an emergency they have the pad.
We do both. Levi is primarily outdoor-trained. If I am home with him, he holds it perfectly and does not even move toward his pad. I prefer for him to be outdoor trained for several reasons: consistently getting fresh air, less waste (we use disposable pads), easier when I leave him with my parents that don't love changing pee pads. But I do love for him to at least know the purpose of pads, because I don't expect it to hold it when I am not at home to take it out - and thankfully, he has learned to use the pad when I'm gone. The combination training has worked out very well for us.

kdhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!