Thread: Pad or outside?
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2011, 04:38 PM   #1
mom2twinz
Yorkie Yakker

Animal Smiley 036 Pad or outside?

Hello everyone!
I am so thankful to have found YT! I've learned so much here and bought things on the recommendations of what I've found in the forums. Everyone is so knowledgeable and friendly.

My question is...which do you prefer, pee pads or outdoor training. I've always had big dogs (labs, border collie, standard poodle, etc) and trained them to do their business outside. Now I have this tiny ball of fur and am not sure quite what to do. Most of the time we go outside (we live in the far suburbs and have 2 acres and are surrounded by 40+ acres of farm land). Lately the weather in the northeast has been cool and rainy. Today has been especially bad with wind and rain (and threats of tornadoes). Teddy loves to go outside to do his business (most days we go without an accident and he'll even ring his bells here and there), but today has been a disaster. I can't blame poor Teddy since I hate going out in the weather also and there have been several accidents.

I'm wondering which everyone thinks is the best way to potty train a small dog. In the winter it gets quite cold and we get some bad snow storms. Not sure how Teddy will like that. My husband thinks it's gross for a dog to do his business inside (our cats certainly do! ), but I don't see him going out at 11pm and 6am to take the puppy out. I really have no problem taking him out, but I want to do what is best for him.

I work from home and have twin 12 year old boys. On busy days when I have to leave Teddy for a few hours he is in a pen with his bed, bowls, toys and pads. He always does his business on the pads when he is penned up, but if he's out he won't go back in if he has to go. His mistakes are my own for not being diligent, but I'd like to figure out the best way to train him.

(BTW...Teddy is 12 weeks old. At his age I am just amazed at how well he is doing. I sure didn't expect much, but he surprises me!)
Thank you so much for your help!
Tracy
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!