View Single Post
Old 04-16-2011, 06:37 AM   #2
Lil Sis
Donating YT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deonk1 View Post
So I started making my bagels from scratch (well kneeded in the bread maker), and I'm wondering how I can improve them.

They taste almost perfect except that the outside crust has a bit of a doughy taste.

In bread maker:
flour
water
honey (I tripled the amount from the book)
yeast
salt

then you submerge them in lightly boiling sugar water (I think this is where they get that taste from..

SO Here's what I'm thinking I'm going to do. instead of submerging in water, I'm going to do the same thing I do to my homemade rolls, I'm going to melt butter over them when they come out of the oven to soften the crusts.

Thoughts?

Also my boyfriend LOVES croissants, and I've made it my mission to learn how to make them from scratch... anyone know a good recipe. I have a bread maker and can make things from scratch. I only have bread maker yeast on me though, but can buy other stuff if needed. We've been together for 3 years and I haven't found one yet!

I have never made bagels but I think the boiling in water... blanching .. is an important step to make them bagels. Maybe you are leaving them in the water too long? Or the water is not a full boil? I wish I could help more..
in Miami bagels are easier to buy
I think if you put the butter it will make them rolls --idk
also-- I always split my bagels and toast them... maybe that will prevent the doughie taste?
good luck
Lil Sis is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!