Thread: Simple Recipes?
View Single Post
Old 04-15-2011, 10:50 PM   #11
capt_noonie
www.yorkierescue.com
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
You can still post it, my Landlady loves shrimp and for once I'd like to make her something delicious
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonBon View Post
Oooh, please post it! I've never tried a mexican shrimp cocktail. Is it spicy (love spicy!)?
It can be as spicy as you want Bonny!

Anyway, this is my take on it (baja style), but there's lots of variations. I make it from memory and I don't follow a recipe, so I'm guesstimating here.

1/2 bag frozen jumbo shrimp (18-20 per lb, somewhere around there), raw, shelled, head on or off doesn't matter, depends on how much work you want to do (just make sure they are raw)
2 large ripe avocados, diced
2 large tomatoes or 4 roma tomatoes, diced
1/4 brown sweet onion, diced finely
1/2 cup drinking water
1 stalk green onions, chopped
juice of 2 limes (more or less to taste) or 1/2 to 1 of lemon
2 to 3 tbsp ketchup (to taste, to thicken)
your favorite hot sauce to taste (I use Tapatio or Cholula)
salt and pepper to taste
cilantro is optional (in my recipe), only bc I HATE cilantro, but like 100% off mexican dishes have it, so there you go.

You can also sub or add in your fave type of vinegar for a different type of sourness, or add red pepper flakes as well. Make it up as you go.

Clean and cook the shrimp, and cool them. Mix all the ingredients together. I like to keep the shrimp separate bc the lime will continue to cook the shrimp and they will get chewy. Add the shrimp when it's serving time. If you're going to store it for a day or so, keep the shrimp separate again. Many serve it with saltine crackers, which I don't get, they disintegrate. Tortilla chips make much more sense! Leave a few shrimp or slices of avocado for a pretty garnish on top, otherwise this is a soupier looking cocktail, not like a shrimp cocktail you order at a steakhouse. But its' WAY better!

Add in some diced mango for a sweeter variation, or cucumber for more crunch. Octopi lover? Add in some tentacles! How about some oysters?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mexican-shrimp-cocktail-4.jpg (13.3 KB, 2 views)
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!