View Single Post
Old 04-15-2011, 03:49 PM   #11
kjc
I♥PeekTinkySaph&Finny
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanieK View Post
I tell mine "Stay Back" and they don't rush out. When I was teaching them, I would just open the door alittle and tell them "stay Back" and block the opening with my foot. They learned not to try to rush out.

Occasionally, if someone is at the door, they will try it. So I always make sure they are listening before I open the door.

My problem is more with the guests than with the dogs, People will just stand in the doorway instead of getting through it. I tell them, just keep walking. The dogs will only stay back for so long before they rush to the guest.

Ditto. I was shocked at how quickly mine learned. One day I decided to teach them so I went to the door (they were right behind me falling all over themselves and fighting for position) and I just turned the knob and they about broke their necks pushing on the door ready to bolt. I said 'Get Back' and when they all moved back, I turned the knob again. They all rushed the door again.

About the 3rd or 4th time, they sat there. So I opened the door about 1/2 inch. They rushed the door, I told them 'Get Back' and they did. Then I turned the knob, and opened the door 1/2 inch, they stayed put, so I opened it about 5 inches, they still stayed.

Actually, teaching them this took less time than typing this post...
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!