View Single Post
Old 04-15-2011, 12:38 PM   #13
yorkietalkjilly
♥ Love My Tibbe! ♥
Donating Member

All these stories are so cute and clever.

I think these guys learn very quickly what gets them what they want the quickest and they are not above employing any effective tactic to achieve their desires. They aren't hampered by a set of values or morals, know what they want and how to get it fast. Can they learn that a limp or other action brings them quick attention? I'm convinced they can and do, at least that is what I think after living with them since 1978.

My last Yorkie used to use reverse sneezing to get attention! That little mess had me going, rushing to pick her up, cuddle her, distract her with treats and such several times a day - and it was obviously irritating her throat, actually causing more RS. After a couple of days of this, I read about some small dogs remembering that the first few times they reverse sneezed that it brought them instant and gratifying results and that by the time it happeneds a third time with the same result, it could become a learned skill and that they could do it so much it could create a sore throat, causing more RS. I had heard that before and that is why I didn't just rush her to the vet and started reading my dog books and magazines.

That article said that of course not all RS's are contrived - that some are mechanical - but that the memory of how we react to the first few episodes of RS stays with them and can be used as a ploy to get attention at another time.

Kwowing how clever Jilly was, I tried ignoring the next RS episode as the article advised as best I could. At least I didn't rush to her and fawn over her, etc., just continued doing what I was doing while watching her out of the corner of my eye. She did it a while and then it slacked and stopped. By about the 3rd time of this different reaction by me, her RS sessions began to trail off until she only had the occasional mechanical RS from choking on water, piece of food, irritated throat. Somehow, she went from RS'ing alot - at least 2-5 times a day, to about 1-3 times a month! I directly tied her ability to largely control it to the lack of favorable response she got.

Our babies don't have voices and sometimes coming up to us for a needed bit of loving is somewhat rebuffed if we are in the middle of doing taxes or reading a contract, so another way of getting our attention back on them is to effect some type of behavior that arouses immediate concern. I think they are clever and uninhibited enough to use anything to manipulate us and why not - it works so often!!!

You've got to admit, it is so cute that they know to and don't mind resorting to doing these kinds of things just because they love us and want our attention. That's pretty flattering when you think about it.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!