View Single Post
Old 04-13-2011, 08:10 AM   #7
RemydeHaviland
Donating YT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiestosMom View Post

2. The second question I have is also bathroom related lol...
We had our first playdate this Friday with another yorkie boy who came to our house. The guest yorkie apperantly is not housetrained very well and had accidents here and there. Then I noticed that Tiesto also started having accidents while playing with this guy. At first I thought that it's due to exsitment and he was probably too busy playing and didn't want to stop and go to his Pad... But the thing is that even after they left he kept doing so... (I have to say that he is not completly trained yet but he was good about going to his pads specially when downstairs and close to them). Now the thing also is that he started peeing more often, and i'm starting to think that maybe it's not just a step back from his potty training but maybe it's some kind of an infection? do dogs get those? I'm not sure what to do here... I really thought we are doing well with this issue and making progress but it seems that one playdate was all that was needed to undo all the hard work

Please share your thoughts and experience with both issues, Tiesto and I would appreciate it very much...
I have had to deal with a similar situation. Remy is 2 1/2 and is completely potty trained. Our son has a malti-poo who is about the same age as Remy and every time this dog is in our house he poops & pees. They have not been successful with potty training - that is a whole other topic. Bottomline, after this dog is in our house, Remy has marked where the malti-poo had gone. Very, very frustrating.

I have been able to correct this behavior by doing the following:
1) Throw out any area rugs on which the other dogs accident occurred; 2) Bleach any tile / door jam / etc on which the other dogs accident occurred; and re-bleach after Remy "re-marked" there.
3) My carpets are very close to white so I've actually put a highly diluted bleach solution directly on the carpet where accidents occurred (I initially used pet-odor carpet remover, and Remy would still go to those areas and sniff;
4) used a pet-safe carpet freshener in the areas after the bleach;
5) Immediately after all of the above, I would literally follow Remy if he ventured near these areas - and would repeatedly say - "you potty outside".

After a few mistakes, I've gotten Remy back on track

It is SUCH a pain tho - this guest dog is a nightmare.

RemydeHaviland is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!