Thread: Standard Poodle
View Single Post
Old 04-13-2011, 06:47 AM   #2
gemy
YT 2000 Club
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasmineNoelle View Post
Does anyone here have a Standard Poodle that they are raising with their Yorkies. If you do, I could use some help. We recently added a 12 week old standard Poodle (male) to our family. At first everything was fine. Jasmine (5 pound Yorkie) loves the new Poodle (Malachi) and Malachi loves her, however now he has started playing too rough and I don't know how to make him stop. He will run at her and knock her over, slap her with his paw, grab her by her collar. He is 19 pounds. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Well you might not like this advice, but until Malachi is trained, you must for the safety of your Jasmine, keep them separated and quite simply not allow Malachi to play with your Yorkie. Malachi is being a normal puppy, but the problem is in the vastly and only to be increasingly different weights. You keep them separated through Xpens or crates, or gating areas off in your living space.

If you live with another person who is willing to help you train Malachi, then one person has Malachi leashed and the other has your Jasmine leased. Start with walks with both of them together. Do NoT allow play at all during walks. Discipline the puppy and if necessary Jasmine.

I've not owned a Standard Poodle, but they are an incredibly smart dog, and great at obedience. This male may grow 60 to 80 pounds so he must learn to behave himself around your Yorkie. Poodles also can be high energy and high prey drive dogs, so it is a Must to train him.

Our large and youngish female BRT has only recently earned my trust and her right to be allowed free in the room with Razzle. But she is supervised. She has a high prey drive, and it has taken almost two years for her to truly understand she can not chase Razzle. She is not allowed out in the backyard off leash if Razzle is off leash in the backyard. Razzle is still learning that he can't jump up into their beards.

It is a challenge and the onus as always is on the owner to provide a safe living environment for all their pets. But I'm sure you considered this before purchasing a large breed dog.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!