View Single Post
Old 04-12-2011, 05:18 AM   #1
Giulli
No Longer a Member

Rose Help Needed with Training (professional trainers only please)

Hello from France. I am new in these forums, and I generally do NOT like forums, because people tend to give suggestions and ask questions that has no relevance towards the subject proposed, leaving our original questions without answer or derailing subjects altogether. And if we complain, we're accused of not being 'friendly'.

So well, forum-wise, sorry, but I am NOT friendly as I am in need to ask for a very specific answer for every specific questions I propose here. I'd ask a local professional, but they cost an eye and I cannot spare the "extra"; I pay bills and they are all but cheap. And even though my family has been dog trainers and breeders for over 30 years, sometimes even experienced people need a little help too, and I have learned that pride leads people nowhere, and fast. The family lives overseas. I live in France.

In these forums, as I have seen, some pros are willing to do volunteer help, which I am in dire need at the moment. I also do volunteer work in other venues, in an in-person manner (it's not the case now). So I believe I can find the help I need in here.

I wrote a long post with my specific questions instead of making it in several little posts. It is simply more convenient for me as I work all the time. I am a writer, I work at home with my dog, but I can't slack or I get evicted, so you sure can understand that yes I do have PLENTY of time for my dog, but it needs to be shared with the work, and of course, my six hours of sleep daily.

Questions ahead.

I have a baby Yorkie, Lili, of 2 months and a half at the moment of this post. She is my sunshine and I love her to life and afterlife. I live with a room mate, and she has a Fauve de bretagne, Momo. (It is a hunt dog, big as a tall basset and bulky too.) Our apartment is a small studio.

Question 1 - Momo is super gentle and sweet, but she is also, well, heavy! She doesn't bite my baby Yorkie, but she pushes, paws, growls when my baby bites her paws (of course, it hurts!) I absolutely loathe when they play together and every time I take Lili out to 'burn energy', but it is not always possible... what I do to avoid them to play together?

Question 2 - Momo is used to beg for food at our feet during meals. Being a rescue shelter dog, my friend has no heart to train her in strict ways, so Momo has to be the most impolite dog I ever saw. And begging at the table is the sort of behavior I LOATHE, and now, even though I asked her NOT to give snacks to Lili while we eat, she can't seem to help herself. Momo asks, she gives, and obviously she gives to Lili, too. How do I stop that behaviour from Lili, if the other dog is showing her it is ok? (Don't say moving out, that is not an option either... LOL...)

Question 3 - I have raised Yuki, a male Yorkie, now with 10 years (he lives on my dad's house overseas with his family), and Kami (another male Yorkie that was stolen when I lived in USA in 1999). Neither gave me half of the trouble Lili gives to train. She is a hurricane around the house, runs everywhere like if she had an atomic battery on her. She doesn't accept the brushing on her fur, she bites on the brush as if I was playing with her (imagine Yorkie that doesn't like to be brushed), she doesn't respect it when I say 'no' for something.

How can I get Lili used to brushing, to NO, to stop nibbling on me? I have tried all the conventional methods!

In her defense, I have to say my Lili is very happy and cheerful. She sleeps over my long hair, or on my shoes/feet while I work; she is trained on leash already in the streets, and in the gardens she walks behind me without it and comes from playing in the gardens when called. (Yuki never does that outside...) Lili is silent, while Yuki is super vocal, so I have to carefully read silent signs when Lili wishes to be fed or something else. She has toys, a bed of her own that she doesn't use (my hair seem more comfy...), she goes everywhere with me (from Bakery to Paris downtown and even amusement parks or research fields), she is indeed my summer sun, and I love her so much when I have to discipline her my heart aches... but I do it anyway.

But I am so failing. For the first time, I am failing.

Any *professional* trainer's help would be so welcome. I appreciate people of good-will, but so far, good will, family experience and internet articles have not been of ANY- help, so please, if you're not a pro or have over 20 years of experience, I ask you to please refrain from answering the thread at this time.

Thank you,

Giulli

PS: I do not 'subscribe' to threads so those professionals who wish to help me, please leave a private message. Thanks!
Giulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!