View Single Post
Old 04-10-2011, 05:51 PM   #13
yorkietalkjilly
♥ Love My Tibbe! ♥
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret-Jack View Post
Hi Jeani,

Where i got Jack from i recieved a cert' telling me that he has a clean bill on health and shows no problems, so anything brought up by a Vet in the near future, well i'm hoping it will cause no problems !

I'm hoping Jack has something stuck in/around his left paw because if i press gently he pulls away from me, i'm going to get the electric trimmers out and remove all his hair from around his paws to see if i can see anything.

Margaret.
Hi, Margaret,

I am so glad you got the health cert and hope it helps should you get insurance and have any subsequent claims. I hope the U.K. is different with insurance policies bought after any vet has given a health certificate. But in this country, I'm pretty sure that if the veterinary director of the insurance company deems that a condition being claimed is one that is pre-existing, his finding is final. The company's own veterinary people would usually make the final call on whether a condition is one that could have developed spontaneously after the effective date or one that is deemed to be of a nature that indicates it is not acute/spontaneous and had to be already existing before the effective date of the policy. Some say they won't cover congenital anomalies, things like that to cover these situations - others word it differently.

Unless your policy is written in such a way that gives your initial vet check autonomy and allows it to become the sole evidence in determining the date of onset after coverage was effective, their vet director can just say your vet should have known this was a pre-existing condition, missed the call, rescind your policy if they want, and overrule him; and you would have to go to court to ultimately win benefits.

I am not saying vet directors do this a lot but if they want, their lawyers can write the policy in such a way that gives them ultimate say in determining their liability in any claim, no matter what another vet may say. It is that way pretty much with our medical insurance also unless specifically stated in the policy that all pre-existing condtions and congenital anomalies are covered from the effective date of the policy, so I am pretty sure veterinary policies follow suit.

I hope Jack's limping is not anything bad and he can continue to do his walkies regularly as they get such a kick out of getting out on the leash and exploring their world.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!