View Single Post
Old 04-10-2011, 04:01 AM   #16
manolos mom
Donating YT 4000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlnurse View Post
Thank you everyone for your prayers and advice. Please keep praying for my boy. I am beside myself and scared....

Max is spending the night at the A.H. He had a seizure while the vet was in the room which makes a total of 6 today. He was sedated with valium, given phenobarb and propofol. She had hoped that it would sedate him but he was fighting it. Labs were drawn, electrolytes, CBC and liver enzymes were normal except for K+ was 0.2 pts low and his lipase was elevated 4x the norm probably from him digestive enzymes that I used for his IBD (I will stop that). She does not think the lipase is related to the seizures. He has IVF now with 20mEq of K+. He had his loading dose of phenobarb and if he does not have anymore seizures tonight, they will start phenobarb by mouth tomorrow. He might be able to come home later tomorrow, if not then Monday. She suggested doing BATs at my regular vet, since the labs she drew were normal (they didn't have the capability to run them there). Liver shunt can't be ruled out yet.
I am so sorry. This sounds so much like Manolo. We had our vet do a BAT test and it came back slightly high. Then we did a urinalysis to check for any crystals. Came back neg. Next we went to a Radiologist and he suggested scintigraphy,Portal Scintigraphy in Veterinary Medicine, came back negative for Portal Shunt. While Manolo was under they did a clear cut biopsy and sent this to A&M labs and finally got a diagnosis of MVD. We control his protein levels, no more than 16% plus we supplement with white fish and sweet potato and others. HEPATIC LS | Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Manolo is doing fantastic. Please keep us updated..Lissette

Last edited by manolos mom; 04-10-2011 at 04:04 AM.
manolos mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!