View Single Post
Old 04-09-2011, 12:38 PM   #1
maybeiloveyou
YT Addict

Thumbs up Rec: A good groomer in greater Los Angeles (LA) or Orange County (OC) area

I get my Shih Tzu groomed here but I thought I'd pass along the info for anyone else looking for a good groomer.

Sophie gets groomed at the spcaLA shelter (spcaLA Grooming Salon) in Long Beach. For "the works" (bath, haircut, glands, nails, teeth, etc.) they charge about $45 for under 10lbs, $50 for 11-20lbs (or 25) and it increases thereafter. For "the works", it takes my dog about 2-3hours to get groomed.

The nice part about this place is that there is only one groomer -- so your dog is not sitting in a kennel all day waiting to get groomed by someone. The downside of this is that they are booked about a week or two in advance. Danielle and her staff are really nice and take good care of my dog. They all gush over Sophie and she always comes out looking gorgeous and smelling great. What's nice is that they almost always either put a bow or bandanna on her, or if it's a holiday they do something a little special!

As far as grooming goes, I have never really had an issue with anything. They will do almost anything you ask. I have given them photos and they keep those in a file. Every time they groom Sophie they write down EXACTLY what they did so if you like it, you can just say, "whatever you did last time" and know it'll be exactly the same. When I want to make a change to her grooming routine, the staff always brings out Danielle (the groomer) and she takes the time to know exactly what I want. When I say "1 inch" it really is 1 inch!

The only issue I've ever had is that one day I noticed one of her nails had been cut to the quick (just barely). They never mentioned it to me, but I don't know if it is something to be mentioned in all honesty. It's not a big deal, I'm sure, I think just part of me would've liked to know. It has never happened before or after that time and I mean, Sophie could've moved while being groomed or whatever which resulted in the cut.

They will also give you a post-grooming report if you ask. The first time I took her, I was concerned about how she was going to react, and the staff was nice enough to send home a little envelope with the bill + a detailed account of how she reacted to certain things (e.g. "tried to bite the hair dryer") which I thought was really nice.

4799897679_fabdd4e3ed_z.jpg
When we brought her home from the shelter, before any grooming!

IMG_1944 copy.JPG
Valentine's day grooming (they added the collar)

5574770346_501033a0cb.jpg
Most recent grooming
maybeiloveyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!