View Single Post
Old 04-09-2011, 06:45 AM   #8
OwnedByJezebel
YT 1000 Club Member

My first Yorkie was like that, and I don't consider it to be normal. He wasn't like that with living things, just toys and other inanimate objects. When he decided something was "his," there was no changing his mind. He even claimed a garden gnome, and when he thought someone might be moving towards it, he would run over to it and start guarding it, warning, barking, snarling to stay away.

We would never allow him to be around children, just in case they might innocently pick up something that he considered to be "his." We got him at a year of age (from a bad breeder that has been discussed here) where during his first year he essentially was raised in a "pack of wild Yorkies" and was not socialized, and that probably brought out his resource guarding tendencies. We worked with him for almost two years to try and free him of the behavior, but were never able to do it. He died before the age of three from the complications of an enlarged heart.

Again, I do not consider this to be normal behavior. The dog is distraught. The dog is being alpha. A terrier with the proper temperament still has all the terrier spunk but knows it's place, and is confident enough to be comfortable in all situations with all people and all other dogs. The dog in the video isn't happy, he thinks he is in charge, has lost control of his possession, and is trying to get the situation back under his control.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!