View Single Post
Old 04-08-2011, 05:03 AM   #2
kjc
I♥PeekTinkySaph&Finny
Donating Member

Little girls can be quite out of sorts for a month or even two, sometimes 3 when they come into heat. Mine goes off her feed, won't listen to me at all just does as she pleases, but when it's over she's such a Mama's girl, and her appetite returns. Usually the day the swelling goes away I see more of her personality coming back.

Many Yorkies, males included, will vomit yellow bile if their tummies are too empty in the morning. Most eat twice a day, and when one spreads the meals out further (feed a bit later at night) or offer some treats at bedtime, the vomiting may stop. I would give her whatever you know she'll eat. If that doesn't stop it, then I would have the vet do a more thorough workup on her.

I think the Yorkie girls feel alot like ladies do during that time. Tastes can be off, loss of appetite, hormones fluctuating, mood swings, etc. So the food she usually eats may not taste right to her, same with certain treats.

I watch my girl a bit closer during this time to be sure she is getting enough to eat and drink. I'll add a tiny bit of scrambled or hard cooked egg or cottage cheese to her regular food to entice her to eat more, or bits of chicken, and I vary it so she doesn't get bored with eating the same thing each time.

Moistening the kibble is good to do too if she likes it, as she'll be getting some extra water that way. Or you can use an organic, low salt (homemade is best) chicken broth (minimal fat, no skin or bones (and no onions)to wet the kibble. Mine never refuses chicken broth on her kibble.

I've been making notes on my girl's heat cycles too, so I can figure out what is really normal for her. So if I do see something odd in her behavior, I will know to contact the vet. But finding 'normal' isn't so easy... it takes a lot of watching what she's doing most the day.

My MIL has a Sheltie intact, even he goes off his feed for 3 days straight... or if I'm unsure about my girl, I ask her if the sheltie is eating or not. Sometimes that is easier for me...
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!