Thread: Microchipping?
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2011, 06:26 PM   #2
Nancy1999
I ♥ Joey & Ralphie!
Donating Member

Oh the little stinker, I guess you got him back, but I'm sure you were scared to death. Joey got microchipped when he was neutered, and as far as I'm concerned there is no downside. The company we are with has a one-time lifetime charge, and you only pay again if you are changing information. Many states are making breeders who breed over a certain number of dogs microchip their puppies, and for a while there was a lot of propaganda put out about the dangers of chips. The millers just didn't want to pay the extra money, and also didn't want anyone to have the capability to trace a dog back to them. Microchips are about the safest medical procedure there is, and literally thousands of dogs are returned yearly because of this technology. The chip isn't active, it's not "sending" information, you need a reader to read the chip, so it's really safe. The only thing I would suggest is to use a chip that is popular in your community and where your pound has a reader to that particular chip. There are a couple of major companies, we have Home Again, and have been happy with it.

Join today and remove this ad!