View Single Post
Old 04-06-2011, 03:58 PM   #1
TikiandNiki
Senior Yorkie Talker

Confused New 4 mo pup plays too ruff with 2 yo sister

First of all, HELLO to you all ...I'm new to YT and love all of the insight and knowledge you share with each other. I'm already spending too much time trying to read "everything" LOL.

I have an issue with my new pup. She's (Niki) 4 months old and has been with us about a month now. She's going to be joining the "Tea Pot" club I'm sure. She's already 8 pounds at 4 months old!

Tiki, my other baby is almost 2 years old and is a doll. I've had her since she was 12 weeks old... Tiki has been our "only" baby...until now. She's been spayed and weighs 7.5 pounds. I've always wanted another yorkie, thinking it would be great for Tiki to have a pal around.

Here's my problem...Tiki, the older sis just isn't excited to have Niki join the family. She's not been her "normal" happy-go-lucky gal since Niki arrived. To make matters worse, Niki (the pup) plays VERY ruff with Tiki, using her puppy teeth makes things worse. I've pretty much got the biting under control with Niki now, but she is constantly harping on Tiki, tackling, chasing, etc. She's just being a puppy and has a ton of energy, but it's taking its toll. Tiki tries to make Niki stop. Finally, after several minutes, she growls and barks loud at Niki. At that point, Tiki is so upset that her body shakes and her bottom lip quivers, so much that it looks as though she's foaming at the mouth. This episode lasts 20-30 seconds.

I've tried separating them for short times during the day...mostly to give Tiki a break !

Has anyone else experienced this kind of behavior with an older dog and new pup? I know that Niki is fine, she's just being a pup. It's Tiki I'm so worried about...

Thanks for any suggestions
TikiandNiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!