View Single Post
Old 04-06-2011, 07:21 AM   #10
Ladymom
Donating YT 2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie May View Post
Yes, you can feed solely homecooked as long as you give the supplement. You can give kibble too though. It's up to you.

I have homecooked for a few years now. I don't like taking the time to do it. It is hard to travel with. It isn't as easy for other people to take over and feed. I find that more meals are needed because there is so much moisture in it (not calorically dense enough). It can get expensive. Quality control/making sure it isn't in the fridge for too long, etc. is on me and I don't like that.

I like being able to do it for my girl. I don't recommend it unless htere is a mecial reason. IMO, kibble fed dogs can do just as well and I'm not totally convinced that it's worth the effort.
At last, someone who feels the same way I do!

Homecooking seems to be very popular now and a frightening amount of people aren't doing it correctly. I read over and over again on forums how people are just winging it, making up their own recipes, not adding supplements, etc.

It's so important to remember that if homecooking isn't done correctly, you can actually harm your dog. You must get regular bloodwork to insure all his nutritional needs are being met. For most healthy, young dogs, a high quality commercial dog food is an excellent choice.

With that said, I have been homecooking for my 15 year old Lady for about three years now. She has so many health issues including diabetes and liver disease plus she had three episodes of HGE within a four month period, I simply ran out of commercial food she could eat. She has done beautifully on it! Her bloodwork is perfect (ALT back to normal) and she is healthier that she has been all her life.

But.......it's very expensive and a lot of work, just as Crystal said.
Ladymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!