Thread: New Member
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2011, 07:22 AM   #10
AlicetheYorkie
YT 500 Club Member

Talking I'm a cat lover too

Congrats and welcome! Since this is your first dog - Just a heads up so you're not surprized or worried when you bring your puppy home - your cats are probably going to take some time to adjust (but they will ). We have 3 dogs and 2 cats and 2 of the dogs (including my Yorkie) came to our home after the cats. One of our cats is really layed back while the other is more alloof and the layed back one had a much harder time adjusting. He is very much a lap cat and at first he was really scared of the puppy, hiding, growling, hissing, "poofing" is tail out, and he wouldn't come anywhere near me when Alice was by me. Then after about a few days he got more curious than scared and evenually and slowly he got used to her and now will lay on my lap right next to her (well, sometimes tries to lay on her lol). I've also seen them laying next to each other and they play together all the time . Just letting you know this ahead of time so you're prepared and don't get worried about your cats. It will probably take time, depending on each cat's personality, but they will adjust, it may take a few weeks though. When your kitties start to get curious, hold your Yorkie still (as best you can lol) so the kitties can sniff. Let your cats do their own thing and adjust in their own time, don't try to force it. I hope I didn't worry you or anything because it will totally be fine and you'll love having a dog To me there's nothing cuter than a dog and cat that are good friends. I have plenty of experience with dog/cat relationships lol so feel free to PM me if you have any questions and like someone else said - read read read this forum, it's been extremely valuable to me as a first time Yorkie owner. Congrats!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!