Thread: Picky Eater
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2011, 12:56 PM   #17
AlicetheYorkie
YT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyk View Post
My dogs (now almost 11 months old and I got them at 8 months) are super picky as well.. I've tried many home-made foods and they won't touch any dried foods.. royal canin, acana etc.. no canned dog foods of any kind. I thought I had them finally happy when they would wolf down the raw food from tolden farms but now they won't eat that either.

Boiled chicken, hamburger/rice etc is a no-go and they once loved eggs but no longer eat them either.

At xmas time when I made a turkey they enjoyed the turkey and I started giving them both cooked and raw poultry.. now they don't enjoy it

They only thing they ravenously enjoy is the baked duck treats. I give them to them as treats.. and am almost considering making them their food source. Even then I'm sure they will eventually turn up their nose at them at this rate.

They do eat veggies.. baby carrots and cucumbers. They loved raw sweet potato when I first got them but no longer.. yeesh..

Do you have to change up their food weekly? I"m running out of things to try.

It's been suggested that I give them nothing but the dry food in a bowl to eat and when they're hungry enough they will eat it.. but when I got them they were on dry food and wouldn't eat it either.. and were very underweight so I'm concerned they will go the same way again.. and I've just got them to a healthy weight.

Thoughts? How long will yorkies go on a hunger strike if they don't get what they want? should I remove all food until they eat the dry food?

I hear ya...just a thought about the duck treats, I'm 99% sure you can find a food with duck as a protien source (maybe Blue Buffalo?). That part of your post just jumped out at me because I've discovered that Alice doesn't really like chicken, she prefers beef.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!