View Single Post
Old 03-29-2011, 11:11 AM   #14
AlicetheYorkie
YT 500 Club Member

As others have said, yes, a topical flea preventative from your vet. I will only use Frontline Plus on my dogs because it's really safe and my cat plays with the dogs(if anyone has cat(s) also who play with their dog(s) DON'T use K9 Advantix on your dogs, it is extremely dangerous to cats if they lick a dog that is treated with it). I only really know alot about Frontline - it will kill every life stage of the flea (I think there's 3) from egg to adult. If you have a flea problem in your home, using the frontline on each pet in the house every 28 - 30 days will completely break the life cycle in 3 to 4 months (all the fleas with eventually end up on one of your pets and die). A good trick to get the little buggers out of your carpet is buy a flea collar (those ugly white ones), cut it into a few pieces and put it inside your vaccuum bag or canister to kill the ones you suck up). Dawn dishwashing liquid will kill the adult fleas that are on your dog, so a bath with that before applying the topical (wait till dog is dry first) will help speed the process. PLEASE DON'T anyone ever ever ever use any of the cheap topical treatments like Hart's or whatever. In the vet clinic I worked for we saw terrible chemical burns among other problems from these products and they don't work anyway because there's only trace amounts of any active ingredient. you only really need to resort to the expence of an exterminator if the problem's really bad otherwise consistant use of a topical product from the vet will take care of the problem within a few weeks.
AlicetheYorkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!