View Single Post
Old 12-27-2005, 03:31 PM   #10
txshopper73
Donating YT 14K Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorkieRose
A good vet is worth their weight in gold...my friends and I have been thorugh some terrible times with vets who hated breeders...or the "Mayo" client type.
Having recently moved to another state, finding a good vet was not easy. I have one I like, she breeds Doxies, but she is too high IMO...but since I do not have a kennel, I will go to her for most things.

Today, I drove to Ft Lauderdale to a Yorkie vet to get Kate's 6 month check up and puppy teeth removed..she had two impacted molars, that I did not see..I knew she had double canines..(it is so important for a mouth check at 6 months.) Anyway, this vet was very reasonable and he likes breeders and agility people.

Sometimes I read the Commerical breeders forum...they talk prices and it is unbelivable how cheap it is in the Midwest. There are breeders who paid as little at $50 for a c-section, day or night. One was complaining his new vet is charging $65..

I pay for an office visit, but not take a dog...I want to talk to the vet before I need them. I ask for referrals from other breeders also. Go and meet the vet, tell them what you are all about and what your goals are..I ask if they want me as a client knowing I breed/show etc..some are honest and say no, they do not cater to breeders, no ER, no discounts..fine, I go to the next one.

No one will replace my Md vet..75 yrs old and still got out of bed in the dead of night to come to my house or the office if I needed him...there will never be another like him. The new, young vet that he has recently sold his practice to, told me he does no emergancies and he perfers no breeders as clients.
The vet that I took Gracie to the morning of her eclampsia attack is 90 years old. You have to yell a little for him to hear you but he's got so many years of experience behind him. He's a sweet ole man and he's not out to get your money.

When a friend had a c-section done on her yorkie, he charged her under $200 versus the $500 everywhere else. He's the one that does my pup's tails and he charges 1/4 the price that every other vet charges. Do I trust him, yes, I do. The only thing that scares me is his age because I know he won't be around forever.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!