View Single Post
Old 03-28-2011, 04:21 PM   #2
kalina82
Phantom Queen Morrigan
Donating Member

Welcome to YT and congrats on your new girl!

She is a tiny one that's for sure. My yorkie was spayed at 6 months old and she was just under 3lbs and did great. Since your girl is a few years old and you just recently got her I would have a complete blood panel and a bile acid test done to make sure she is 100% healthy. The bile acid test is to check for liver shunt which is common in yorkies and can cause huge complications with anesthesia.

If you get good results back and you trust your vet with your tiny one then I say go ahead and get the spay/dental done. Discuss with your vet that the dental should only be done after the spay IF she is doing well under the anesthesia. If need be, the dental can be done on another day.

Ask the vet if she uses Iso or Sevo as a gas anesthetic, if she'll have a catheter, and if she'll be on IV fluids during and after the procedure. Also ask if she will be fully monitored by a tech during the procedures and if they are comfortable doing surgery on such a tiny dog.

If her bloodwork comes back a little questionable but she still needs the spay and dental you can ask to be referred to a specialty hospital. AERA in Fairfield has surgeons for the spay and now has a dentist as well.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!