View Single Post
Old 03-27-2011, 01:02 PM   #1
Sambone12
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Animal Smiley 019 Hello/Any advice?

Hello everyone,

I am new to this site, so I thought I'd make a post to introduce myself. I am a new yorkie owner- to a 9 year old boy named Sammy. I adopted him from a family that no longer wanted him (so sad... he was heading toward the shelter, the family said they "didn't have time for him"). He was brought into my house (I am currently living with my parents- I am 24 and a new teacher, so I am saving to move out) and he has adjusted well to my mom's dogs (3 chihuahuas) but has not had such a great time with our cats! I am taking him to training soon, hopefully to work on some of his self control issues.
The family I adopted him from claimed he was extremely calm, slept most of the day, and if he ever felt stressed he would retreat to a bedroom-- that is not the case! Note: they locked him in the laundry room all day/most of the night. He is very hyper, and very reactive to people, cats, squirrels, etc. I've tried rescue remedy, DAP diffusers, and am wondering if anyone out there had any other advice for helping with his hyperness and anxiety? I've had him for about a month now, so I'm sure he's still adjusting, but I wish I could make this adjustment period a little smoother for him and the other members of my family (my mom is more than a little upset about his issues). Any advice would be great!! Thanks so much everyone out there!

- Jessi
Sambone12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!