View Single Post
Old 03-26-2011, 08:19 AM   #7
smepperson
YT Addict

Sad

Quote:
Originally Posted by bella_mia_hairy View Post
This past week has not be good for our family my mom ended up in ER with chest pains, they found out she wasn't having a heart attack or a blood clot in her lungs ( Thank God!!!) But did find she could have a torn ligament above her rt breast. The same day Chloe was diagnosed with Cutaneous Vasculitis.

Yesterday I was helping my mom reorganize our linen closet and noticed Harley was choking some how she had gotten a hold of toilet paper and it was logged in her throat. I wasn't able to pull it out tried doggie heimlich nothing by now its been a few min. but felt like hours her little mouth was turning blue as well as her tongue and body was going limp. I jumped in the car with jammies and hot orange fuzzy slippers and flew over to our vet. (travel time with no trains is 10 min) all the while I am holding her and telling her to stay with me at each light I trying massaging her throat and trying everything to get her either to spit up the paper or swallow it, We hit a bump and run into the vet this is when I realize she looks a little more alert and vet doesn't see anything in her throat, and her color is slowing coming back, (she must have swallowed it) Vet gives her 1 milligram of dexatmethasone for shock and tells us we can go on our way.

Now we are home about an hour and she starts vomiting 1st time it is mucous and looks a little tinged with red.

twenty minutes later she vomits up red with a little foam rush her to her normal vet which is half hour away (banfield pet hospital) and then while there we end up waiting over 5 hours for them to see her I try walking her and vomits again bloody I rush her back to the desk and then show them the blood and vet will be with us shortly. Finally we are in a room and waiting to see the vet and vomits again this time it is rust color and vet rushes in and gives her a shot to help her stop vomiting. she runs x rays and they show her bowls are full of gas but nothing that is showing she is blocked.

They tell us bring her back in the morning for blood work and send us home with Sucralfate and pepcid 2x's daily and not to feed her.

Today they run bloodwork and liver enzymes show abnormal but to keep her on the meds and start feeding her cottage cheese and boiled rice. for 7 days then a recheck with the vet and hopefully start on a intestinal diet for about a month before working her back onto her regular food and they will retest her liver. then.

Crossing our fingers and thanking God she is still with us!! But she is still not acting like herself and my mom says she is still weak to give her time to recuperate.. But I am still worried and she is eating her cottage cheese and rice since about 4pm today after not eating for over 24hrs and she has not pooped yet just extremely bad gas. She is peeing so I will call vet as soon as they open in the am.

Please say a prayer for my babies and my mom that they recover soon

Thanks
Nikki
I am so sorry you are going through this... First off I have to agree about finding a new vet.

Secondly, was the vomit a lot of blood or just flecked with red? If there is a lot of blood it is imperative to get her to ER. If it is only flecked then it could just be from the convulsing to vomit. I am not a vet, but my baby Gizmo had colitis at an early age, pancreatitis at age 6 and passed from complications of Renal Failure. My hubby and I have studied up on the GI tract extensively.

Ingesting anything foreign is bound to make their values a bit off, as will shock and stress. The key is to weigh the difference of values now with original values and evaluate how big the difference is. A full panel work-up is also fairly important.

Our longtime vet was more than disappointing when he diagnosed Giz with Renal Failure. Basically gave up on him and sent us home with a bag of sub-q fluids and one lesson. He told us he gave him 2wks - 2mos max. With changing vets, doing very diligent home care, we had him with us for an additional 7 mos. of love & playing & just being together. I am in no way suggesting that little Harley is in that type of trouble but really trying to emphasize the importance of changing vets!

Hubby and I will keep you in our prayers. Hugs to all of you ♥
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!