View Single Post
Old 03-25-2011, 02:13 PM   #5
RachelandSadie
No Longer a Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachluvn2 View Post
My 3 yr old yorkie does great during the day with no accidents but at night is another story! Every morning when I get up my yorkie has gone potty in the house. He knows that its bad because he crouches an walks off as soon as I see it. I have tried everything. getting up twice a night to let him out didn't work. If I put him in his kennel at night, he either goes potty in the kennel or "cries wolf" all night long to the point that I am getting up a million times a night for nothing but him wanting attention. I am grossed out by the thought of him going on the floor and tired of cleaning it up but I am more tired from the lack of sleep I am getting from kenneling him (and still end up cleaning up poop). If anyone has any ideas please help! He's a great dog during the day!
Also dogs have no idea what shame is. Dogs do not have those types of human emotions. They don't know that you are mad at them for something that happened five minutes ago let alone several hours ago. Punishing a dog that has an accident doesn't work because a dog has no idea why you are mad at them. If you are yelling or upset the dog is crouching because he is afraid of you not because they are ashamed of anything. Good luck with training. Be patient and kind. Reward and praise when the pup goes where it's supposed to and do nothing at all when the pup has an accident. Accidents are human error that we are not communicating the right techniques to the dog. It's not the dog's fault that we are incapable of understanding their needs or that we are not getting them outside on time. Blame yourself for accidents and never the dog and the pup will learn lots faster and both will be happier.
RachelandSadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!