View Single Post
Old 03-21-2011, 02:31 PM   #20
CindyAnna
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Animal Smiley 019 ^..^

Hi Y'all My Yorkie Sadie Mae was certified as my service dog this past fall. It was actually at the suggestion of my Post-Polio doctor (a physiatrist or Doctor with specialty training in Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation) who saw that Sadie was picking things up for me when I dropped them, and alerting me beforehand when Polio Brain Fatigue was about to set it. Sadie's veterinarian also signed her certification papers stating she was not "vicious" which was required (she is a little doll & loves everyone). I worked with another disabled lady who had trained 9 of her own servicde dogs through the years, and she helped me to train Sadie to assist me in dressing (getting my socks or slippers for me, a light blanket, etc) and Sadie is a godsend to me.

You will need the input of your physician who treats you for your disability, along with a good service dog trainer, & of course your dogs veterinarian. Thus far I have had no problem taking Sadie anywhere, though I haven't flown with her, but have traveled by car & have taken her in restaurants, grocery stores, hotels, etc.

You disability doctor is your best source for getting your dog qualified so enlist his help by all means.
CindyAnna is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!