View Single Post
Old 12-26-2005, 10:32 AM   #1
momofreese
Senior Yorkie Talker

Hi, I really need advice on a dog food for weight loss

I have read some of the threads but none specifically tackled this problem. I even posted on someone else's thread, regard vomiting and which food are better.

I would appreciate if anyone can give me advice as to what to feed an overweight yorkie..she is about 10 lbs and should probably be 7 or 8 max. We have had her on four different brands over three years and none seem to work. Most if not all have caused her to vomit. She seems to go through phases of vomiting.

I was told by some really nice readers to give her string beans ( no salt) in a mixture of her food and maybe even some boiled chicken. I have been doing that gradually, but she is still vomiting. I have decreased her portions.. we serve her a total of 1/8 to 1/4 of a cup of the mixture twice daily. I have even at times made the portions smaller and fed her three times.

I have had the necessary tests in the past done.. thyroid, pancreatis, etc and all have come back negative.. thankfully. She does have a very sensitive stomach. She is consumed by food (it seems as if that is all she lives for) Even when she isn't vomiting she still seems hungry all of the time.

My last food change was to welleness light and she might not have vomite once in about two weeks. My vet told me to just watch her, give her flagile if she has loose stools, which she hasn't and call her at the end of the week.

I have tried vet prescribed foods, natural choice or something.. and nothing is reducing her weight or stopping the vomiting. The wellness kibbles are used and she seems to swallow them whole. Even after I soak them in warm water or break them up, she still inhales them.

Any advice would be helpful. We put her in my jacuzzi last night to give her exercise.. we were right near her, and she was scared out of her wits. My daughter even went in with her. She was paddling so fast and splashing so much. We thought that this would give her great exercise in conjunction with the low calorie diet. My daughter had to go in with her, get scratched up and splashed at. She ending up clutching on to my daughter while in the bath vs doing any form of exercise.

Please PLease Please let me know of any success stories and just stories on which healthy food I can give a three year old overweight yorkie. I also wanted to know if I cut out all dog food, would she be getting enough of a well rounded diet from boilded chicken, some rice and no salt stringbeans.

Please help..

Thanks Randy
momofreese is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!