View Single Post
Old 03-16-2011, 12:35 PM   #4
Maximo
♥ Maximo and Teddy
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjr6306 View Post
Thanks for the advice Maximo. Is there any external signs to infected or compacted glands? We have been checking his butt daily to see if there are any signs of swelling. All looks normal on the outside. His but is shaved so there are no "Hangers" lol. We only feed him prescription dog food that can only be bought from the Vet. It does look like he labors to poop most times when he goes and his stool looks to be a little on the soft side.
no hangers, lol. I neglected to mention that the first sign of gland problems is usually the dog scooting his butt on the floor. Typically the anus and/or surrounding area would appear red or swollen if the glands were impacted. Sometimes infected glands cannot be seen without an exam until the gland has ulcerated to the outer skin.

Maybe the Rx diet is giving him gas and he is sniffing it. My younger boy turns and sniffs his rear end right before he needs to do "big business." However, you said Mickey is doing it compulsively. I would check in with the vet just to be safe. If you have a good relationship with your vet, you may try calling the office and asking.

Maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!